Citizen    Business    Government    Visitor   
  Wyoming Water Well Contractors Licensing Board
  Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Water Well Contractors Board (WWCB)?

The Wyoming State Board of Examining Water Well Drilling Contractors and Water Well Pump Installation Contractors is the body responsible for promulgating, administering, revising and enforcing the Rules and Regulations for Water Well Drilling and Pump Installation.

How do I get a license?
  • Must be at least 18 years of age.
  • Evidence of general working knowledge of well construction and/or pump installation procedures through certification by the NGWA in the branch or discipline for which Wyoming licensure is being requested, or proof of having successfully completed a general and at least one specialty exam administered by NGWA or other exams approved by Board.
  • Evidence of coverage under a general liability insurance policy in an amount of not less than three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000).
  • Provide proof of legal presence in the United States;
  • Must demonstrate professional competence by passing a written exam(s).
  • Submit required fees.

If I’m licensed in another state does the WWCB offer reciprocity?

W.S. 33-42-114. Reciprocity, states that “if a person holding a license entitling him to drill water wells or install pumping equipment in another state applies for a Wyoming water well drilling contractor’s or water well pump installation contractor’s license, if the other state offers reciprocity, and if the board determines the standards and requirements of the state in which the applicant is licensed are equal to or exceed the standards or requirements of this act, the board may waive the examination requirements except the applicant shall successfully complete an examination based on Wyoming statutes and rules relating to the drilling of water wells or installation of pump equipment. The applicant shall also pay all applicable fees.”

It is your responsibility to contact the state in which you are already licensed to see if they will offer reciprocity with Wyoming. If they do, you must:
  • Submit the applicable application form and fee made payable to the Water Well Board.
    • $25.00 for residents, or
    • $100.00 for non-residents;
  • Submit the $75 examination fee (for the Wyoming Specific Exam); and
  • Submit the $200 license fee (made payable to the Water Well Board). Please note, the license is valid during three calendar years and expires on December 31st of the third year
How do I renew my license?
  • The first renewal will be due by December 31st of the third year after initial licensure. Renewed licenses expire on December 31st of the third year following issuance.
  • Complete the Application for Licensure Renewal form available on the WWCB website under Forms ( and submit it along with any required filing fees to the WWCB before December 31st deadline.
  • An expired license may be renewed by submitting a complete renewal application, the renewal fee and the late fee prior to the first day of February following the date of expiration.
Who is exempted from licensing?
  • Drilling an oil or gas well or installing a pump in an oil or gas well, where the oil and gas well is permitted pursuant to W.S. 30-5-115;
  • Installing a pump in a well on land owned by or leased to him or on which he is employed on a regular basis;
  • Drilling a monitor well that does not require a permit from the State Engineer;
  • Drilling a well on land owned by him; or
  • Operating drilling equipment or conducting other drilling or boring operations which do not require a permit from the State Engineer to appropriate ground water (e.g., uranium test holes).
Are there requirements for continuing education?

All license holders renewing their license will be required as a condition of renewal, to have completed eighteen (18) CPC units in each renewal period. All inactive/retired licenses shall be exempt from continuing professional competency requirement.

Each licensee is required to complete nine (9) CPC Units pertaining to their particular business i.e., water well construction and/or water well pump installation.

A licensee holding a dual license shall be required to complete twelve (12) CPC Units, six (6) units directly pertaining to water well construction and six (6) pertaining to water well pump installation. See WWCB, Rules and Regulations, Chapter 7 for additional information pertaining to continuing education.

What are the insurance requirements?

The WWCB requires a licensee to have in place and be covered at all times when providing well drilling services by a minimum of three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000) in general liability insurance.

Do I need to have a copy of the well permit on hand?

The driller or person/entity engaged in construction of a water well shall have in their possession, at the well site, a copy of the approved permit or the permit number.

Is a license required to perforate wells?

WY Statute 33-42-103 (f), It shall be unlawful for any person to construct, alter or rehabilitate a water well or install pumping equipment in a water well without a license as provided by this act unless the activity is exempted from the licensing requirements of this act.

Does a licensed water well driller need to be on the drilling site at all times?

A license holder overseeing the job and assuming liability for the water well drilling or water well pump installation shall have direct communication with the water well drilling or water well pump installation site during all drilling or pump installation operations.

Where can I find the Water Well Minimum Construction Standards?

The Water Well Minimum Construction Standards can be found on the Wyoming State Engineer’s website at the following link: or on the Wyoming Water well Contractors Licensing Board under the Rules and Regulations tab (

How can I get a waiver or variance to the Water Well Minimum Construction Standards?

Any waiver or variance to the Water Well Minimum Construction Standards can only be obtained by contacting the State Engineer’s Office in writing. The waiver or variance application shall state the nature of the waiver or variance and the reasons why the variance will not result in a well that will have a detrimental effect on the ground water resources.

Privacy Policy     Contact Us     Copyright